Upcoming changes in Facebook ads and Hootsuite Ads - January 13, 2021
With the release of iOS 14, Apple announced an upcoming change to how apps collect data on devices using iOS 14. Within the next few weeks, Apple’s AppTransparencyTracking framework will soon require all apps to ask iOS 14 users whether they agree to being tracked across apps and websites owned by other companies. If a user opts out, Apple will prevent certain data collection and sharing from the device.
This has significant implications for how the Facebook pixel tracks app and web conversion events, and big impacts to our Hootsuite Ads customers who advertise on mobile devices and across the web.
In response to this change, Facebook will process pixel conversion events from iOS devices using Aggregated Event Measurement. To continue measuring web events from iOS 14 devices, you’ll need to make several changes. There are also several new limitations to be aware of.
Who is affected?
Anyone who runs Facebook advertising campaigns for leads or sales will be affected by this change. Targeting, reporting, and optimization will be reduced as a large number of iOS users opt out of the required prompt.
If your Facebook advertising activities don’t focus on conversions, but rather on social brand awareness metrics such as likes, comments, shares, and video views, the impact of these changes will be minimal.
Actions to take now
If you plan to deliver ads for conversion events that occur on your business’s app or website, see Facebook’s help article How Apple’s iOS 14 Release May Affect Your Ads for the lists of actions to take and new limitations in advertising on Facebook.
Changes to Hootsuite Ads
As a result of the changes that Facebook will be making, here are the changes you will see in Hootsuite Ads:
- Attribution window settings: The options for all campaigns will be 7-day (default) or 1-day click attribution windows.
- Ad creative: You won’t be able to use deferred deep links in ads in an App install or App event campaign targeting iOS 14.
- Mobile app custom audiences and app connections will no longer be available as targeting options.
- App install, app event, or value optimization ad sets will not be able to target iOS 14+ devices.
- Minimum duration: Campaigns with “Lowest cost with bid cap” or “Cost cap campaigns” bidding strategies must have a duration of at least 3 days.
We can help!
We’re here to help you understand the impacts to your ads and reporting, and to make the necessary changes to adapt.
All Hootsuite Ads customers have an allotment of free strategic review sessions per year. These are 1-hour, live discussions with a social ads expert. Schedule a session from your Hootsuite Ads dashboard on the Services tab.