Changes to Facebook engagement tools - December 16, 2020
To comply with privacy rules in Europe, Facebook made changes to its Messenger platform on December 16, 2020, that affect all third-party apps such as Hootsuite.
Hootsuite customers with Facebook Pages and Page Admins in European Economic Area (EEA) countries, and Hootsuite customers interacting with residents of EEA countries, are affected by these changes.
Note: Even if your Facebook Page isn’t located in Europe, you might still be affected by these changes.
What has changed in Hootsuite?
- Facebook private messages, comments, and replies received in Inbox no longer display the profile picture of the user.
- Facebook usernames and profile pictures no longer appear in the Inbox context panel that contains profile notes and interaction history.
- It is no longer possible to mention other Facebook users or Pages in public conversations.
- Audio, video, and file attachments received in Facebook private messages no longer appear in Inbox or user interaction history. Image attachments will still appear in Facebook private messages, and all attachments in public posts and comments are still supported.
Streams and Assignments
- Usernames no longer appear in the context panel that contains profile notes and interaction history.
- Audio, video, and file attachments received in Facebook private messages no longer appear in the Messages stream or in Assignments. Image attachments will still appear, and all attachments in public posts and comments are still supported in Assignments.
Facebook is working hard to bring these features back, and we're working closely with Facebook to identify potential workarounds. We will update this article as we have more details.
For more information, see Facebook’s Messenger API Updates for Europe.