Create a LinkedIn post
You can create, publish, and manage your LinkedIn profile and Page content with Hootsuite. When you create a post, you can:
- Attach images to both profile and Page posts
- Attach GIFs and videos to Page posts
- Edit and apply filters to your images
- Specify the audience who can view your content on Page posts
- Choose whether to publish your post right away or to schedule it for a specific day and time
- Promote your LinkedIn page post to reach a wider audience
Watch Best practices for sharing content on LinkedIn Pages for great publishing guidance. Visit Hootsuite Academy to watch more videos, take courses, or earn industry-recognized certifications.
Before you begin
Make sure you’ve already added a LinkedIn profile and Page to Hootsuite. To learn more, see Add a LinkedIn account.
Create a LinkedIn post
To get started, select Create new post . Then follow the numbered steps in this example to create your post.
- Under Post to, select the LinkedIn profiles and Pages you'd like to publish to.
- In the Text area, enter your post text. To mention a LinkedIn Page, enter @ followed by the LinkedIn Page name, and then select an option from the list. To learn more, see Mention a user or Page.
Note: Currently, you can’t mention LinkedIn profiles.
- Above the Text area, the character count updates as you type. LinkedIn allows a maximum of 1,300 characters per post, including links and hashtags.
- In the Text area, type a link (optional). A link preview appears on the right. Can’t see a link preview? See Overview of link previews.
- Below the Text area, select the smiley face to add emojis.
- To shorten a link, below the Text area, select Shorten with Ow.ly. The full links remain visible in the Text area, while the post preview on the right displays the shortened link.
- To add link tracking parameters, below the Text area, select Add tracking, select Ow.ly, and then select Custom. Enter your campaign name, type, and value, and then select Apply.
More about parameters
All plans can add custom link tracking parameters, designed to work with analytics systems. Parameters are tags that identify a link and the post that contains it. See Apply link settings to learn more. Team, Business, and Enterprise customers can also set up a vanity URL to use as a link shortener instead of ow.ly. To learn more, see Add, share, or delete a vanity URL.
- In the Media area, add one or more images to your profile or Page post, or a GIF or video (Page posts only).
Media upload options
- Drag and drop files from your computer into the Media area.
- Select the Select files to upload link.
- Select Open media library, and then select Free Images or GIPHY from the drop-down. Select a media file, and then select Close Media Library.
- To edit an image, add filters, or make other adjustments to it, select Edit image. For detailed instruction on using the image editor, see Work with images.
- To edit alt text on a Page post, select Edit alt text. Enter the alt text description of the image, and then select Apply. The character limit for LinkedIn is 120 characters.
When you create your post, you can also take advantage of additional options (depending on your Hootsuite plan type) to promote your post, apply tags, or select the specific audience who can see your post.
Select Promote this post under Promotion to promote your post on LinkedIn. To learn more, see Promote a LinkedIn Page post.
Select Add next to LinkedIn Page Audience to select who you’d like to see your post. Select industry, seniority level, functions, locations, language, and company size, and then select Apply. LinkedIn Pages must have at least 300 followers that match the selected targeting options to successfully publish a targeted post to that audience.
Select your organization, and then select Select campaign to associate your post with a current or future campaign. To learn more, see Create and manage content campaigns.
In the Media area, select Open media library, and then select Content Library Images from the drop-down to select an image from your pre-approved media files.
Select Add next to Tags to apply tags to your posts and analyze their performance in Hootsuite Analytics. Select the tags to add to your post, and then select Apply. To learn more, see Add tags to track your outbound posts.
Publish a LinkedIn post
When you’re finished creating your post, review it in the preview on the right to see how it will look on your LinkedIn profile or Pages. You'll be alerted to any issues with your post. To learn more, see Preview a post.
- To publish the post right away, select Post now in the bottom right. If your message is published successfully, Hootsuite displays a confirmation message at the top of the screen.
- To schedule your post, select Schedule for later in the bottom right, and then select a date and time to publish the post. Select Done, and then select Schedule.
If you want to create, publish, or schedule another post, select the drop-down arrow next to Post now (or Schedule), and then select one of the following options:
- Select Post and reuse accounts (or Schedule and reuse accounts) if you want to publish or schedule your post and create another one immediately after. All fields are reset except the selected LinkedIn profile or Pages for you to begin creating your next post.
- Select Post and duplicate (or Schedule and duplicate) if you want to publish or schedule your post and then retain it to edit and create a new, similar post, with a unique post ID. All elements of the previous post are retained, except promoted ad spend.
Note: Professional, Team, Business, and Enterprise customers can also set posts to automatically publish when there are gaps in your scheduled content. See Automatically schedule a post.
For more information on how to schedule your content, see Schedule a post.