Connect a website analytics account to Impact
You can use website analytics to track the ROI on your published content and improve your social efforts. For example, find out which posts drive the most traffic or customer conversions and develop plans to maximize your future approach. Conversions are actions that you want customers to take such as visiting a specific page on your website, subscribing to your email newsletter, or purchasing a product or service. Google Analytics and Adobe Analytics track a customer journey from interaction on social media, to visiting a site, to completing a conversion.
Plans: Enterprise customers with Hootsuite Impact or Impact Starter, and Business customers with Impact Starter.
Note: Adobe Analytics is available to Hootsuite Impact customers at an additional cost. Watch How to Use Adobe Analytics and Hootsuite Impact to learn more about the benefits of using Adobe Analytics with Hootsuite Impact. To connect an Adobe Analytics account to Hootsuite Impact, please contact your customer success manager. Adobe Analytics is not available with the Hootsuite Impact Starter subscription.
Before you begin
Make sure you’ve already set up your Google Analytics account.
- Create a Google Analytics account and add the tracking code to your website. For more information, visit the Google Marketing Platform.
- Create Google Goals for each web conversion event you want to track from social media. For information, see the Google Analytics help article Create, edit, and share goals. If you sell products on your website, set up ecommerce tracking. For information, see the Google Analytics help article Set up ecommerce tracking.
- Optionally, assign a monetary value to each Google goal you create. For information, see the Google Analytics help About goals.
Connect your Google Analytics account to Impact
- Sign out of your social accounts and website analytics accounts.
- Go to My other products , and then select Go to Impact. Impact opens in a new tab.
- Select from the following:
- If you are setting up your first Impact dashboard, select Add Connections, and then select Add New Connection.
- If you already have another Impact dashboard set up, select Connections, and then select Add New Connection.
- Select Google Analytics, and then select Authorize+Connect Google Analytics.
- Enter your credentials for that connection.
- Follow the prompts to authorize the connection with Hootsuite Impact.
- Select the website account, web property, and domain type.
- Select Add Google Analytics.
Important: After connecting your Google Analytics account or changing your Google Goals, your connection requires account configuration. Please reach out to your customer success manager to start the process.
- Add UTM tags to the links in your posts to allow Google Analytics to track the traffic and site activity coming from those links. You can add UTMs manually or when composing a post in Hootsuite. See Apply a UTM parameter to a link.
- Whitelist the following Hootsuite Impact IP addresses to ensure Google Analytics captures the full destination URL and UTMs from the links you share on social.
- Ports: 80 and 443
Whitelisting Hootsuite Impact IP addresses allows collection of all Google Analytics attribution data from your links and ensures that the Hootsuite Impact Auto-tagger can correctly assign tags based on the metadata in your links. For more information, see Use automated tagging to analyze your social campaigns.
View your analytics data
Data from your Google Analytics connection is displayed in the ROI Analysis reports. This data is at page level and displays the ROI each Page or profile generated as a whole.
- In Hootsuite, go to My other products , and then select Go to Impact. Impact opens in a new tab.
- Select Impact App.
- Select ROI Analysis on the right, and then scroll down to the Total Return section. You can view your analytics data under the Intent column.
Website data at the page level is also included in the Filter Content reports. To learn more, see Build reports in Impact using advanced filters.
If you applied unique UTM parameters to your social posts, you can view conversion metrics per post in the Browse Content tab. Select a post in the table to open it in analysis view. Web analytics data is displayed under the Intent tab. See Measure web conversions at the post level to learn more.
If you're seeing analytics data discrepancies between your Google Analytics and Hootsuite Impact accounts, check the filtering that's in use. Impact only displays conversion metrics that can be explicitly tied back to a post, and therefore applies filtering logic for any domain that contains 'facebook', 't.co', 'twitter.com', 'pinterest', or 'linkedin'.
You should also check to ensure there are no connection issues with your social and website analytics accounts. To learn more, see Reconnect social accounts to Impact.