Connections between Impact and your social networks require access tokens, which can expire and require reconnecting for different reasons. These can be as simple as software updates or password changes. More details below
If your data is not populating in your dashboard, it usually means the social network needs to be reconnected. The first place to check is your name in the top-left corner of your dashboard. If there is a notification number on your initials like this one, it means one or more social networks require reauthentication:
Reauthentication, or reconnection, follows the same process as adding connections.
To reconnect a social network
- Click the notification number, or click the drop-down menu in the top-left corner and then select Notifications. Here you will see a list of any social networks with expired access tokens that need to be reconnected.
- Click Resolve beside the social network.
- Review the explanation provided, and then click Go to My Connections.
- Click Add New Connection.
- Select the social network to reconnect.
- Click Authorize + Connect (social network).
- Enter your social network credentials and sign in.
- Accept any additional prompts to authorize the connection with Hootsuite Impact.
- Facebook, Facebook Ads, Instagram Ads, YouTube: Select the correct account and then click Add again.
Please allow up to 24 hours for Impact to backfill any missing data collected during the disconnection. The last 30 days of data will be automatically backfilled.
Why do social networks disconnect?
Impact connects to social networks with OAuth access tokens that are granted by the social networks.
For security reasons, access tokens usually have a built-in lifespan, so that the same token can’t grant access to an application’s information forever. When tokens do expire, a reconnection, or re-authentication, needs to occur to gain a new token. A token’s lifespan is determined by each social network’s authentication policy.
Regardless of the social network, re-authentication is required whenever:
- The credentials (username or password) for the social network account are changed.
- Impact’s access to the social network account is manually revoked from the account’s settings.
In addition, re-authentication can be expected as follows based on each social network’s authentication policy:
Twitter, Twitter Ads, and Pinterest: Twitter and Pinterest are not expected to periodically need re-authentication, as these social networks do not issue access tokens with expiry dates.
Instagram: Instagram’s authentication policy states that access tokens may expire at any time, but an expiry date is not specified.
Instagram Business, LinkedIn, and LinkedIn Ads: These social networks need to be re-authenticated periodically, as access tokens for these social networks have a 60-day lifespan.
Facebook, Facebook Ads: These social networks need to be re-authenticated periodically, as access tokens for these social networks have a 60-day lifespan.
Re-authentication is also required if the user who connected the social network has their Admin status removed on Facebook.
Google Analytics and YouTube: Google Analytics and YouTube are not expected to periodically need re-authentication, as these access tokens are refreshed each time Impact uses the tokens to collect data from these networks.
Adobe Analytics: Adobe Analytics connections are unique and do not use access tokens. Re-authentication is not required unless the connection is manually revoked in either account.