Set optimization rules for your campaign
Set up optimization rules to take actions on your campaigns based on pre-set performance triggers. Optimization saves you time by ensuring that you get the highest possible return on your advertising budget, without having to analyze your campaigns every day.
Create your own custom rules, or let Hootsuite Ads’ automatic optimization track your campaign’s performance and optimize it for you. Note that automatic optimization and custom optimization rules can’t be applied to the same campaign.
In the All Campaigns list, you can identify which campaigns have optimization on:
- displays beside the campaign name when Auto Optimization is on.
- displays beside the campaign name when custom rules are running.
Custom optimization rules
Custom optimization rules can run hourly or daily. Rules are grouped together in rule sets, and can be applied at the campaign, adset, or ad level.
You can automatically increase or decrease your bid, or pause your ads, adsets, or campaigns with optimization rules. There are near endless possibilities!
To create optimization rules
- Click Tools on the main navigation bar, and then select Optimization Rules.
- Click Create new set, or click an existing rule set to expand it, and then click Create new rule. Rules are If/Then statement-based. Anything underlined with blue can be changed to build your rule.
- Click each underlined item in the statement and make a selection to construct an IF/THEN rule, and to select when to apply the rule.
- Click Save this rule.
You can create as many rules as you want to have in each rule set.
Here are some sample rules:
- IF the Ad has clicks greater than 100 and has a CPC greater than $5 THEN pause the ad.
- IF the Campaign has an average Frequency greater than 10 THEN pause the campaign.
- IF the Ad has a Cost per Conversion lower than 10 % of the campaign’s average THEN decrease the bid by 20%.
Do some initial research into your campaign's performance to understand what type of rules would be valuable to you. Then once you create the rules, Hootsuite Ads takes care of the rest for you!
Automatic optimization includes rules that give a frequency cap, and examines all the ads within your campaign by CPA (cost per action). It then pauses the under-performing ads and allocates budget to the best ads within the campaign. You can always track the changes being made to your campaign in the campaign's Timeline tab.
The CPA is the ‘main goal’ you have set for your campaign. This can be set in the Ads Design step (2) of campaign creation.
Automatic optimization shouldn’t change your campaign budget, except in the rare case when your budget might be close to Facebook’s minimum acceptable budget, there could be a small increase over time. We recommend adding a spend cap to your campaign. If you manually pause or activate ads or adsets, you will have to redistribute your budget from the campaign dashboard, or your campaign may run with a different budget.
You can turn on automatic optimization or custom rules in three places: During campaign creation, within each published campaign’s dashboard, or from the All Campaigns page, where it can be enabled for multiple campaigns at once.
To apply optimization to a campaign
During campaign creation:
- On the Budget & Bidding step (4) of campaign creation, select No Optimization, Automatic Optimization, or a custom rule set to apply to the campaign.
Note: Multi-campaign rules can't be applied during campaign creation. They must be applied after publishing (see below).
From a published campaign's dashboard:
- In the campaign's Dashboard, click Enable Auto Optimization or Select a custom rule.
- Select a rule set, and then click Apply in the bottom-right corner.
- Navigate to the Facebook Campaigns page.
- Check the box to the left of each campaign.
- Click Start Optimization.
- Click Enable Auto Optimization or Select a Custom Rule, select a rule you created, and then click Apply in the bottom-right corner.